Photo - Shklov
Location - Shklov
Shklov is the administrative center of the district of the same name in the Mogilev region. The city is located on the banks of the river Dnieper 211 km from Minsk and 25 km from Mogilev. The city has a railway station, which belongs to the line Orsha-Central - Mogilev. Also, the roads P76 (Orsha - Shklov - Mogilev) pass through the city, the roads P121 (Shklov - Krugloe) and P77 (Shklov - Belynichi) start there.reveal all text
History of the development - Shklov
The small modern city of Mogilev region Shklov has rather deep historical roots. According to written sources in 1520, this place already belonged to the princes Hastold. From this year and consider the age of Shklov. It is known that in 1535 Prince Shuya burned down the entire settlement. However, this could not stop the further development, like the next fire set up here by Moscow archers during the battle of Shklov in 1581. At about the same time, the city passed to another famous Grand Duchy of Lithuania - Princes Chodkiewicz.
Another description of Shklov can be found in the Austrian diplomat Meyerberg Augustin, who drove here in 1662 and left quite detailed comments on architecture and life. It is worth noting that the owners of the city did not stay long. This happened for various reasons, but among the owners were noted Sinyavsky, Chartoryysky, Zorichi , Derzhavins and many others. All of them contributed to the active development and expansion of settlements. So, by the end of the XVI century it was a well-known trade and craft center, and in the number of inhabitants it was second only to six major cities of the Belarusian lands. At that time, the main income was a “provision” fee or a tax on imported and exported goods, which made a good profit.
Shklov Castle was an important strategic object, as it was a link in the fortification line of the river Dnieper. The fortifications were quite reliable, as indicated by the fact that the stakes of the Russian Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich were placed here during the war of 1654-1667. Wars of the XVII-XVIII centuries had a negative impact on the economy of Shklov, the standard of living of its inhabitants. According to written sources during the Northern War, county destruction reached 90%. To help citizens restore the former power of the Polish – Lithuanian Commonwealth , August III bestowed the city on the Magdeburg Law, the emblem and seal.
As a result, all the measures taken by the city again reached a high level of development. The rise of the economy in particular is directly related to the last name Zoriche . One of the representatives of this genus, Semen Zorich, founded several industrial enterprises in the city that were progressive for their time. The manufactories of S.G. Zorich served not only the local princely court, but also made products for sale. One of the most famous is silk-weaving production, raw materials for which were purchased in Italy. It is worth noting that Zorich was also the founder of professional theater , which was heard throughout Europe. Although the troupe consisted only of serfs, real connoisseurs of art from Italy, France and Greece loved to come to their performances. The XIX century continued the time of progress in Shklov. The infrastructure was actively developed: churches, a church, synagogues and prayer houses were opened, the number of educational institutions, shops, hospitals grew, and fairs were often held. By the end of this century, the first cardboard factory was opened.
In the 20th century, the city again experiences tragic events. The First World War and the Great Patriotic War passed through the territory of the Shklov district, taking their lives and destroying buildings. During the attack of the German troops in the city, a Jewish ghetto was created, where soon almost all were killed. The release came during Operation Bagration in 1944. In the postwar period, there was a restoration of infrastructure, residential buildings. Residents were able to overcome the devastating effects of the war and create a modern city. Unfortunately, many historical monuments have not been preserved, however, some unique buildings attract the attention of not only historians, but also tourists. Today Shklov is a small cozy town on the Dnieper, which is ready to offer tourists a relaxed atmosphere, interesting places, developed infrastructure and the picturesque local nature.reveal all text
Tourism potential - Shklov
Today, Shklov is a small but very attractive city. Unique monuments of history and religion, developed infrastructure will allow any tourist to spend pleasant and interesting time. Visit here cafe or city park, which is fanned by legends, or go through a full tour of memorable places.
One of the main attractions of Shklov is Town Hall . It was built at a time when the city received Magdeburg Law in the XVIII century. The height of the building reaches 43 meters, it is similar in construction to Mogilev, but it still has shopping arcades. Previously, there was a post house, a monastery and a school nearby. Shopping malls allowed locals to buy everything they needed for that time. Today, there are shops that look like past shops. There are legends that in a secret passage from the Town Hall Prince Chartaryi hid his treasure and left one of the servants to guard. It is said that the spirit of the servant to this day walks through the corridors in anticipation of the prince.
Monument of landscape art is the Shklovsky park . It was created at the beginning of the 20th century on the initiative of the head of the local nobility Apollo Krivoshein. At that time, the territory was guarded, and it was possible to enter through the entrance gate, or the gate. In the center of the park stood the estate of Krivoshein. However, after World War II, the Germans cut down trees for use as heating. Today the park is mainly used as a playground for children, and there is also a kindergarten and a stadium. Apollo Krivoshein became the creator of the cardboard factory, which has reached our days and became factory «Spartak».
If we talk about sculptures and historical monuments, it is impossible not to mention the memorial «Dneprovsky Frontier» , which is dedicated to the events of 1941 and based on which the eponymous film was later shot. Also in the park there is a sculpture dedicated to one of the brightest representatives among the owners of the city - Semen Zorich. One of the youngest and most unusual figures was the cucumber monument in the city center. For many years, Shklov has been considered the so-called «cucumber capital». Of course, in terms of production, it is difficult for him to resist Olshans, however, it was decided here to perpetuate this vegetable. Making a selfie with a cute cucumber today is one of the first actions that need to be done in Shklov.
Historically, most of the population of Shklov is Jews. Their rich culture and desire to preserve their traditions led to the fact that Jewish monuments are preserved in time. So, in Shklov there is a unique place - «purgatory» . It is a staircase with walls and a roof that has not reached our days. A body ready for burial was carried along this peculiar road: it was thought that this was a process of cleansing from sins. There is also an old Jewish cemetery. It was largely destroyed during the Great Patriotic War, but partially preserved.
Among the Christian churches stand out in the city Savior Transfiguration Church and church of sv. Peter and Paul . The church was built in 1905 and operated even in the Soviet era, which was completely not typical. The church of the Holy Apostles was consecrated in 1849. It is believed that the modern building was built on the site of wooden. During the power of the Soviets there was first a cinema, and then a warehouse. Only in 1999 the church was returned to the parishioners. It is worth telling about the «Shklovskaya Euphrosyne» , which became famous during its lifetime. Her story is rather sad: a young girl Agafya during her wedding came under the wheels of a carriage. As a result, the wedding was upset, and the failed bride went to the almshouse at the temple. Soon, she discovered in her gift of foresight, which brought her fame and many gifts. After her death, many came and went to her grave to ask for good luck in business.
Today, Shklov is presented as an interesting and unusual before the eyes of an attentive tourist. The city continues to evolve, grow and provide guests with a pleasant pastime. Anyone can come here: location allows. But everyone will leave only in a good mood and with a lot of unusual photos.reveal all text
Attractions Shklov +5
Museums Shklov +1