Photo - Volkovysk
Location - Volkovysk
Volkovysk is the administrative center of the Volkovysk district of the Grodno region. The city is located on the banks of the Ross River, 89 km from Grodno and 260 km from the city of Minsk. The border with the Republic of Poland is 43 km away. Several local roads pass through the city, as well as the Baranavichy-Bialystok railway.reveal all text
History of the development - Volkovysk
Volkovysk is one of the oldest cities in Belarus and Eastern Europe. It is believed that it was founded in the 10th century. This statement is confirmed by the results of archaeological excavations. For a long period of time it was believed that the first written mention of the city was an entry in the Ipatiev Chronicle, where it was said that in 1252 the Galician-Volyn princes Daniil and his brother Vasilka Romanovich invaded the Lithuanian lands of Mindovg. However, due to more recent studies by historians, it was proved that Volkovysk was founded earlier: in 1005, a record of this is in the handwritten patericus of the «Turov Bishop of the Blessed Vladimir».
The history of the origin of the name of the city is shrouded in many legends. According to one of the versions, the name of the city is derived from the robbers of Voloka and Visek. In 738 a certain Vatislav Zaveiko killed brigands and put 10 houses on the site of their graves, which gave the name to the city. According to another version, the name of the city was given by the Volkovyya River.
Volkovysk developed quickly enough. This was facilitated by a favorable geographical position. The city was on the road connecting the basins of the Dnieper, Western Bug and Neman. At the beginning of the XIII century. Volkovysk was influenced by the Principality of Polotsk, in the middle of the century the city became part of the Galicia-Volyn principality, and by the end of the century it became part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.
In the Middle Ages, Volkovysk was a city of merchants and artisans who produced weapons, shoes, clothing, dishes, wine and beer, and also engaged in the processing of fur. For some time the city was the center of diplomacy - ambassadors and senators of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania came here. In 1503 Volkovysk received Magdeburg Law. By the beginning of the XVI-XVII centuries. about 5,000 people lived in the city. During the numerous wars of the XVII-XVIII centuries, especially the Russian-Swedish 1656-1658 and 1700-1721, the city burned to the ground not once and was rebuilt.
After the third section of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth in 1795, Volkovysk was annexed to the Russian Empire. During the war with Napoleon in 1812, the city was occupied by French troops for half a year. During the First World War, the city was occupied by German troops (1915-1919). After the war, the city fell under the Polish occupation. According to the terms of the Riga Peace Treaty of 1921 Western Belarus came under the control of Poland and the city became part of the Second Rzecz Pospolita where it was located until 1939. On September 18, 1939 Soviet troops occupied the city and the Western Belarus entered the composition of the BSSR.
After the German attack on the USSR on June 22, 1941, Volkovysk was captured by German troops only by June 28 - fierce fighting was going on outside the city. During World War II, a ghetto operated in Volkovysk, in which, according to various estimates, about 20,000 Jews perished. The city was liberated from the fascist invaders on July 14, 1944 by the 2nd Belorussian Front during the Belostok offensive operation.
Currently Volkovysk is a modern industrial center: there are about three dozen industrial enterprises operating in the city, sports and cultural institutions are functioning.reveal all text
Tourism potential - Volkovysk
Volkovysk is inextricably linked with the name of P. Bagration. He is the hero of the war with Napoleon. Before the beginning of the war of 1812, the headquarters of the 2nd Western Army under the command of P. Bagration was located in Volkovysk. Currently, in the building where the headquarters of the 2nd Western Army was located, the military history museum is located. The museum’s exposition tells about three periods of the city’s development: «Ancient Volkovysk», «War of 1812», «Volkovysk in the XX century».
A unique archaeological monument, the only one in Eastern Europe, are mines of the Stone and Bronze age for the extraction of flint, as well as Parking and workshops for its processing, which are located near the town of Krasnoselsky, Volkovysk district. More than 80 almost intact excavations have survived. In addition, this area is also a burial ground of the III Millennium BC, the villages of the Iron age and the Middle ages. Krasnoselsky archaeological complex is declared a state reserve.
Of interest is the Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. It's a monument of architecture of the retrospective-Russian style, built in 1874. Also of interest is the Wenceslas Church is an architectural monument of late classicism of the mid-XIX century.
The sphere of culture and education of Volkovysk includes the district House of culture, the House of culture of railway workers, the regional methodical center, the military history museum named after. P. Bagration, crafts center, art school, five library institutions, the cinema and seven high schools. As well as throughout the Republic of Belarus, Volkovysk pays special attention to the development of sports. The city has two specialized schools for children and youth of the Olympic reserve, there are several fitness centers. Also, the city has a motocross track which regularly hosts republican competitions and championships in various classes of motorcycles.reveal all text
Attractions Volkovysk +3
Museums Volkovysk +1
Hotels Volkovysk +1
Prices from 1'232 ₽