St. Vladimir Church and Memorial Chapel in Chizhevschina
St. Vladimir Church is located in the suburbs of Chizhevshchina. It was built in the village in 1894 to commemorate the victory of Russian troops in the Battle under Krupchitsy. It was a battle between the troops under the command of Lieutenant-General Duke Suvorov-Rymniksky and Polish rebels led by General Sierakowski.
The first stone of future church was laid in 1891. Its construction was completed in 1894. It was the centenary of Battle under Krupchitsy. That”s why Father Mikanor Katowice proposed to turn a new church into a temple-monument to commemorate the memory of soldiers who died on the field Krupchitskoe on 17th September, 1794.
During the Great Patriotic War local citizens went to St. Vladimir Church to pray for their relatives who were fighting against German invaders. In 1967 the temple was closed by warlike atheists. Witnesses say that the Director of local school gave orders to break windows and destroy the church utensils. The temple started gradually destroying.
The Orthodox church was returned to believers only in 1989. Its restoration was carried out mainly by donations of parishioners.
Today St. Vladimir Church is a cross-domed stone church with a 5-sided apse and three-tier belfry. The building was built in the neo-russian style. It is an example of stone architecture of the XVII-XVIII centuries.
In September 2004 a chapel was built in Chizhevshchina. It was also erected in memory of soldiers killed in the Battle under Krupchitsy in 1794.reveal all text