Spaso-Preobrazhenskaya Church in Rakov
Spaso-Preobrazhenskaya Church is one of the major architectural sights of ancient Rakov - a small village situated 35 km to north-west of Minsk. The temple was founded in 1735 with the blessing of Metropolitan of Kiev Athanasius Sheptytskogo on the territory of Uniate monastery of Bazilyans (Vasilyans). The abbot of the monastery Adrian Papkovsky founded in Rakov a brotherhood in the name of the Holy Pious Anna. Later the works of construction of Spaso-Preobrazhenskaya Church were started here with the help of brotherhood and with the support of the owner of Rakov - Grand Duke Casimir Sangushko. But the construction had been lasting for many years. The main works were finished only in 1793, almost 60 years after the beginning of construction. On 16th September, 1793 the church was consecrated in honor of the Transfiguration of Jesus.
In 1839 the monastery was abolished and the church began functioning as a parish. In 47 years, on the 25-year anniversary of the abolition of serfdom in Belarus a brama-belfry was built in front of the church. The majestic and spacious church is decorated with an antique church chandelier that was bought in 1899 with parishioners money. Also the part of the sum sent All-Russian Pastor, holy pious John of Kronstadt, the Miracle-Worker.
Today Spaso-Preobrazhenskaya Church is a rectangular church. Chapel of St. Nicholas adjoins to it on the south side where there is an altar. On the north side you can see a vestry. Initially, the main facade of the church consisted of two towers. But when a temple became Orthodox Church and had some reconstruction works, the towers were demolished also as a cupola. And Spaso-Preobrazhenskaya Church got its modern look.
In the church there is a revered icon, called «Afonskaya» by parishioners. It is the list from the icon of the Mother of God «Akafistskaya» or «Predvozvestitelnitsa». It was presented to the church in 1910 as a gift from the monks of Mount Athos at the request of Pastor Constantine Okolovich. The list was made by the monks of Mount Athos on a cypress board where the monks put a particle of the Holy Cross, a stone from the tomb of the Blessed Virgin, small parts of relics of St. Gregory Palamas and New George.
Spaso-Preobrazhenskaya Church is considered one of the best temples of the diocese of Minsk.reveal all text
Photo - Spaso-Preobrazhenskaya Church in Rakov
Individual and corporate excursions - Spaso-Preobrazhenskaya Church in Rakov
- Dates on request
- Duration: 07:00 hour
- certified guide services
- transport services