ekskursii.by

Belarusian excursion portal

Chizhevschina

Photo - Chizhevschina

The population: 219 people Status: Village The year of foundation: 1676 Brest region, Zhabinka district

Location - Chizhevschina

Chizhevshchina is located in 11 km of Zhabinka and 13 of Kobrin near the border with the Kobrin district. The M1 motorway passes along the northern outskirts of the village. The area belongs to the Vistula Basin, north of the village flows the river Trostyanitsa, a tributary of the river Mukhavets.

reveal all text

History of the development - Chizhevschina

Before World War II, there were two villages in the territory of the modern village of Chizhevshchina - Krupchitsy and Rykovichi. Krupchitsy were known for their Carmelite monastery. The Carmelites settled here in the second half of the XVII century. On September 6, 1794, during the Kosciusko uprising, a Krupchitsky battle took place near the walls of the Carmelite monastery between the Russian army under the command of A.V. Suvorov and a detachment of rebels under the command of Serakovsky, which ended with Suvorov’s tactical victory. The monastery was essentially destroyed. After the third section of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1795) villages became part of Russian Empire, from 1801 Krupchitsy belonged to Kobrin district of the Grodno province.
In 1800, the Vilna bishop Kapakovsky converted the monastic church into a parish church. After the defeat of the uprising of 1830-31, the Carmelite monastery was closed, the church continued to operate as a regular parish Catholic church. After the suppression of the uprising of 1863-64, the church was closed, after which it was rebuilt into an Orthodox church in 1866-1867.
In 1882, a large fire destroyed the buildings of the Carmelite monastery and church. In 1891-1894, the Vladimir Church was erected on the place of a former Carmelite monastery. Since the construction of the church was completed on the 100th anniversary of the Krupchitsy battle, the temple was also considered as a memorial temple to commemorate the victory of the Russian troops.
According to the Riga Peace Treaty (1921), the village became part of interwar Poland, where it belonged to the Kobryn povet of the Polesye voivodship. Since 1939 it is the part of the BSSR.
During the Great Patriotic War, Krupchitsy was under occupation from June 1941 to July 1944. 9 villagers were shot by the invaders. In 1956, an obelisk was erected on their grave.
After the war, Krupchitsy and Rykovichi were merged into one village Chizhevschina. From 1967 to 1989, the temple of St. Vladimir was closed. After returning of believers the temple was restored.

reveal all text

Tourism potential - Chizhevschina

Before World War II, there were two villages in the territory of the modern village of Chizhevshchina - Krupchitsy and Rykovichi. Krupchitsy were known for their Carmelite monastery. The Carmelites settled here in the second half of the XVII century. On September 6, 1794, during the Kosciusko uprising, a Krupchitsky battle took place near the walls of the Carmelite monastery between the Russian army under the command of A.V. Suvorov and a detachment of rebels under the command of Serakovsky, which ended with Suvorov’s tactical victory. The monastery was essentially destroyed. After the third section of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1795) villages became part of Russian Empire, from 1801 Krupchitsy belonged to Kobrin district of the Grodno province.
In 1800, the Vilna bishop Kapakovsky converted the monastic church into a parish church. After the defeat of the uprising of 1830-31, the Carmelite monastery was closed, the church continued to operate as a regular parish Catholic church. After the suppression of the uprising of 1863-64, the church was closed, after which it was rebuilt into an Orthodox church in 1866-1867.
In 1882, a large fire destroyed the buildings of the Carmelite monastery and church. In 1891-1894, the Vladimir Church was erected on the place of a former Carmelite monastery. Since the construction of the church was completed on the 100th anniversary of the Krupchitsy battle, the temple was also considered as a memorial temple to commemorate the victory of the Russian troops.
According to the Riga Peace Treaty (1921), the village became part of interwar Poland, where it belonged to the Kobryn povet of the Polesye voivodship. Since 1939 it is the part of the BSSR.
During the Great Patriotic War, Krupchitsy was under occupation from June 1941 to July 1944. 9 villagers were shot by the invaders. In 1956, an obelisk was erected on their grave.
After the war, Krupchitsy and Rykovichi were merged into one village Chizhevschina. From 1967 to 1989, the temple of St. Vladimir was closed. After returning of believers the temple was restored.

reveal all text

Individual and corporate excursions - Chizhevschina

Location map - Chizhevschina

GPS Google: 52.165418′ N, 24.167241′ E