Synagogue «Hevre tylim» in Borisov
The Jewish community in Borisov exists since XVI century. In XVII century borisov kagal some time was one of the richest in Belarus, local Jews actively traded in bread and wood with Riga and northern Black Sea Coast. The number of Jews all time grew in a city. Census of 1897 in Borisov had been registered 7722 Jews (it is the little more than half of population of a city at that time). Jews of Borisov and vicinities were engaged in agriculture (nearby 2500 persons), craft (2200 persons), trade. In 1910 in Borisov there were 10617 Jews, seven synagogues, the Talmud-tora, private schools (man”s and female) operated.
In 1911 in Borisov the synagogue — «Hevre tylim» has been constructed. The building was saved almost in a primordial form. In 1994 the educational society «menorah Light» under the official permission of the Executive Committee of the City Soviet of People”s Deputies has established there a corresponding security sign — «Ministry of culture of Belarus. A synagogue «Hevre tylim». It is constructed in 1911. An architecture monument. It is protected by the state».reveal all text