ekskursii.by

Belarusian excursion portal

Church Visitation Presvyatoj Devy Marii in Berestovica

To book a tour

Type: Katolik churches Style: Baroque Date of Foundation: 1620 year Status: Republican value Republic of Belarus, Grodno region, Berestovitsa district, Berestovitsa

Berestovitsa Church of Visitation of the Virgin Mary is a monument to the early Baroque architecture. Built in the first half of the XVII century as the church of the Carmelites. It is a stone three-nave basilica with a semicircular apse. Under the building there is the crypt of 9 rooms.

Since 1794, the church was a hospital, in the late XVIII - early XIX century - the school from 1866 - Orthodox church. In 1990, a temple pereosvyaschen in church. Berestovitsa church was built in 1615 and is a monument of early Baroque architecture. Built on fundatsii Vilna Castellan Geronimo Chodkiewicz architect Giovanni Trevano. The church became a family necropolis in which the owners of buried Berestovitsa Chodkiewicz, Mniszek, Potocki, Kosokovski. Here lies the heart of Jan Karol Chodkiewicz - illustrious commander of the Commonwealth.

According to legend, once a year, the white ghost rises above the church and floats over the city. Who sees it, will be very happy in love and lucky in the career.

In 1865 the church was closed, the building was transferred to the Orthodox parish, the family moved to the tomb of the territory near the church. In 1920 the church was returned to Catholics at the beginning of 1960 - finally closed.

reveal all text

Photo - Church Visitation Presvyatoj Devy Marii in Berestovica

Location map - Church Visitation Presvyatoj Devy Marii in Berestovica

Address Republic of Belarus, Grodno region, Berestovitsa district, Berestovitsa GPS Google: 53.192722′ N, 24.019328′ E