ekskursii.by

Belarusian excursion portal

Church of the Nativity of the Virgin (Murovanka)

To book a tour

Type: Churches, Pilgrimage places Style: Gothic style Date of Foundation: 1516 - 1524 yy Status: Included or offered for inclusion in the list of a world heritage of UNESCO Republic of Belarus, Grodno region, Schuchin district, v. Murovanka

Murovanka or Molomazheykovskaya Church - temple defensive type of the first half of the XVI century. The church was built in honor of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary at the expense of the Vilna podkonyushy Pan Shimko Matskevich Shklensky in gothic style.

Murovanka is a one-storey building measuring about 15 x 13.5 m high gable roof. The eastern tower is smaller (diameter of 3 m, thickness of about 1 m). Once the towers were winding stairs that led to the two tiers of loopholes, shingles top of the temple, as well as to combat loopholes gallery pediment. Each kind of loophole was gradually tapered to the middle of the opening, covered with rounded arch.

Malomazheykovskaya church walls are decorated with ornaments. Mainly it is shallow niches of different forms. Richly decorated side facades, altar apse and tower. At the bottom of the entire house is a traditional ribbon curb - number of bricks laid at an angle. At different times, the temple was not only a place for the services, but also to protect farmers from the devastating raids. In 1656 (during the war of 1654-1667 between the Rech Pospolіtaya and the Russian kingdom) church was badly damaged. It was restored in just a few years. In the 1920-s the church was rebuilt under the church. Temple service resumed in 1988.

 Locally icon of the Mother of God "Vladimir" is kept in the church.

reveal all text

Photo - Church of the Nativity of the Virgin (Murovanka)

Individual and corporate excursions - Church of the Nativity of the Virgin (Murovanka)

Location map - Church of the Nativity of the Virgin (Murovanka)

Address Republic of Belarus, Grodno region, Schuchin district, v. Murovanka GPS Google: 53.697704′ N, 24.999790′ E