Cathedral of the Holy Spirit
Svyatoduhovsky Cathedral - an architectural monument of the vilnius baroque. Founded in 1633 year as a monastery church Bernardine. In 1642, rebuilt in stone. Church is three-nave basilica with a three-sided apse. Shaped gable, an indispensable part of baroque, do not dominate the composition of the facade and is located between the two tiered tower, which concentrated all the wealth and the exterior.
The iconostasis of the cathedral - a number of wonderful icon of the Moscow Academic School. The most valuable relic - the miraculous icon of Mother God, called Minskoj. According to legend, the image was painted by the Evangelist Luke. She is the patroness of the city. No wonder the image of Our Lady appeared on the arms of Minsk. In the cathedral in a special shrine relics of Blessed Sophia of Slutsk, the defender of Orthodoxy in Belarus. Her image is over the shrine.
Until the mid-twentieth-century Cathedral of the Holy Spirit, the former Bernardine church, surrounded on all sides by old neighborhoods. Reconstruction of the postwar decades exposed the hill in front of the temple. Recently, it has been landscaped, there appeared viewing platforms and lights in front of the cathedral.reveal all text