Pinsky Jesuit College
Pinsk Jesuit College is considered one of the masterpieces of architecture, which has left for Belarus by XVII century. Massive wall with thickness up to 2 meters, similar to the window slits, underground tunnels that lead to the river, the cellars with great supply of food if necessary, the building was converted into a fortress, which could withstand a long siege.
In 30s of XVII century at the expense of the Pinsk elder Prince Stanislaw Albrecht Radziwill it was built magnificent baroque church of St. Stanislav with two towers on the main facade. In those days Pinsk Jesuit monastery was one of the wealthiest in Rech Pospolita. Back in 1638 a Jesuit monastery received the status of the College, where in addition to theology and taught many other subjects: foreign languages, literature, logic, history, geography, physics, etc. Soon the curriculum has risen to five classes. The best teachers from all Europe, the availability of high-quality equipment and excellent library made Pinsk Collegium one of the leading educational institutions of Eastern Europe.
Over time, Collegium only expanded. In 1694 it was built another three-story building, which belonged at right angles to the old building of the monastery and was focused on the main facade of the market square. As a result, the building was a beautiful Г-shape. There were classrooms, common dining and utility rooms on the ground floor of building. There were laboratories, library and accommodation of students and monks on the second and third floors.
So titled institution attracted a galaxy of talented students, many of whom later became prominent figures of science and culture.
The glorious history of Pinsk Jesuit College was interrupted in 1773, when the Vatican dismissed this monastic order. The monastery was occupied by Uniates. From 1800 to 1918 there was an Orthodox Monastery of the Epiphany, in 1848 there were religious school, and from 1918 to 1939 the complex belonged to the Catholics. A rich library of colleagues was taken in 1940 in Leningrad and St. Stanislav church exploded in 1953.
New life to the building of colleagues presented by Pinsk Belarus Polesye Museum, to which it was transferred in 1980. Now except the museum children's choreographic school is located in the building of colleagues.reveal all text