ekskursii.by

Belarusian excursion portal

Red Barracks in Bereza

To book a tour

Type: The square and urban development Date of Foundation: 1 century Status: Regional value Republic of Belarus, Brest region, Bereza, Lenina str., 104

Red barracks was built in 1870 of red bricks from the destroyed church at the monastery of Carthusians.
From 1915 to 1919 years in the barracks was a German military hospital. In the first half of 1934 in the red barracks housed the «School of the river fleet specialists».
Since 1934, the Polish authorities have placed them in a concentration camp Bereza - Kartuzskiy for the maintenance of political, criminal and economic offenders. The camp is notorious for brutal regime and abuse of detainees. For 5 years of existence of the concentration camps it was visited by about 10 thousand people, many of whom were killed.
In 1939, after the liberation of Western Belarus, instead of a Polish concentration camps where located Soviet concentration camp, and during the war - Nazi.
Now the red barracks building is a shopping center, shopping arcade, gallery, cafe.

reveal all text

Photo - Red Barracks in Bereza

Location map - Red Barracks in Bereza

Address Republic of Belarus, Brest region, Bereza, Lenina str., 104 GPS Google: 52.527554′ N, 24.969281′ E