ekskursii.by

Belarusian excursion portal

Slavic gymnasium

To book a tour

Type: Objects of culture, The square and urban development Date of Foundation: 1906 year Status: Regional value Republic of Belarus, Mogilev region, Bobruisk, Socialisticheskaya Str., 119

Slavic gymnasium is one of the oldest educational institutions of Bobruisk. It is located in the old part of the town, that was built in the early XX century.

On 16th August, 1904 Bobruisk City Council decided to create a girls” school that was named later - «Alekseevskaya», in honor of Cesarevitch Alexei Nikolaevich. Locals tell a story about the day when the gymnasium had being opened. Two workers were carrying a huge portrait of Nicholai II. One of them slipped and fell. As a result the precious portrait of the king was damaged. After that, local authorities have decided to name the school Alekseevskaya - in honor of the heir to the Emperor of All Russia to redeem their fault before the sovereign.

The gymnasium opened its doors to students on 1st July, 1906. The school building was located in the center of Bobruisk, at the intersection of four streets, among single-storeyed stone buildings. At first it had 7 classes. Later the 8th teaching and training classes were introduced in the gymnasium. About 400 students had been studing in Alekseevskaya gymnasium from 1908 to 1909. They studied the Law of God, mathematics, physics, natural history, geography, writing, drawing and needlework. There were also Russian language lessons. The study of German, French, Latin languages was voluntary. The teachers were graduaters of St. Petersburg University, Vilnius senior women”s schools and other prestigious educational institutions.

The school was paid. It was financed by public funds.

In 1921 Soviet school of Yanka Kupala was opend in the building of Slavic gymnasium. Until the beginning of the Great Patriotic War the working faculty had been functioning there. Then there Teachers College was opened. Later the building was returned to the school. In 1969 the museum named after Lenin was founded there. Later the Battle and Labour Glory Halls appered in the gymnasium.

In 1993 the oldest educational institution in Bobruisk got its original name - Slavic gymnasium, but in 2009 it was renamed again to the gymnasium № 3.

Slavic Gymnasium is open today. It is located in a stone two-storeyed building with an attic storey and a wooden pyramid-shaped tower above it. The educational process in the gymnasium has three stages: the first is preparatory (4th grades), the second (5-9 grades) and the third (10-11 grades). There are different optional classes, study groups and courses in the gymnasium.

reveal all text

Photo - Slavic gymnasium

Location map - Slavic gymnasium

Address Republic of Belarus, Mogilev region, Bobruisk, Socialisticheskaya Str., 119 GPS Google: 53.142352′ N, 29.226499′ E