ekskursii.by

Belarusian excursion portal

Glussk castle site

To book a tour

Type: Locks, fortresses, strengthenings Date of Foundation: 18 century Status: Regional value The Republic of Belarus, Mogilev region, Glusk

Glusk castel existed in XVI—XVIII centuries, took place on a raised part of the right river bank Ptich, on a place of a site of ancient settlement of an epoch of the early Iron Age and the Kiev Russia. As historical sources testify, in XVI century the Glusk lock has been surrounded by earthen defensive shaft with wooden walls, strengthened by wooden towers, including with an entrance tower the approach to which was possible through a drawbridge. The lock was an important strategic point on a way of a possible attack of the Crimean Tatars in the end of XVI century, Cossack shelters in the middle of a XVII-th century, during war of Russia from Rech Pospolitaya in 1654-1667. Till 1581 the castel  owned of princes Zaslavsky and Chartorijsky. In the end of XVII—XVIII centuries the lock belonged already Radzivills. Lock decline is necessary on the XVIII-th century end. Now the lock is completely destroyed, on its place the city stadium, periodically ведуются archeological excavations is located, In which course find Iron age ceramics, a tile XVI, etc.

reveal all text

Photo - Glussk castle site

Location map - Glussk castle site

Address The Republic of Belarus, Mogilev region, Glusk GPS Google: 52.895386′ N, 28.685861′ E