Slonim Holy Trinity Cathedral
Slonim Holy Trinity Church (and the Bernardine Monastery) - a monument of baroque architecture. The existence of the Holy Trinity Church is among the most ancient times.
known that the site of the present church in the XVI century there was a wooden Orthodox church of the Holy Trinity. It was a locally icon of St. Anthony Pechersky, Kiev, the chief of all Russian monks. In this Holy Day of Remembrance at Holy Trinity Church celebrated the solemn liturgy, which is visited by many pilgrims. After the conclusion of the Union of Brest in 1596 the church was selected by the Orthodox and subsequently analyzed.
In its place in the years 1635-1645 from the brick church was built, which also served as the reference point of the city fortifications on the left bank of the river Schara. In this church in 1749 was founded the Bernardine Monastery. In order to erase from memory the memory of Orthodox Christians Orthodox shrines, the Catholic clergy has gone to such a move. Instead of worship on the feast day of St. Anthony Pechersky, which are very fond of the Orthodox people, the church began to occur solemn service on the Western rite in honor of St. Anthony of Padua Catholic. In 1864 the Bernardine monastery was abolished.
In 1867 the building was handed over to the Orthodox church, which was organized in honor of the Church of the Holy Trinity. Then it was revived and celebrating the memory of St. Anthony Pechersky. On the day of his memory, as in the old days, were performed the solemn service. So in 1867 the rank of cathedral worship made abbot of the monastery, Archimandrite Nikolai Zhirovichsky (Redutto), and in 1868 was on the rest of the monastery Zhirovichi Archbishop Michael (Golubovic).
During the Second Rech Pospolita was handed over to the temple of the Roman Catholic and converted to the Catholic Church. During the Great Patriotic War, the temple was re-submitted as orthodox and voostanovlen Holy Trinity Church. In 2002, the church is given the status of a cathedral.
Cathedral is a high octagonal tower - the bell tower on the facade at its base strengthened by powerful buttresses. The tower was part of the fortress built. In the arched niches round it were loopholes. Sight of the Cathedral - two cubic extensions on the sides, covered helmet domes. Due to their increased expression silhouette of the monument, which occupies a prominent place a panorama of the city.reveal all text